Wednesday 20 August 2014

Orientation In Indiana

I feel so fortunate to have been given this opportunity and I really think other PC teachers need to apply. Only two of the eleven international teachers are primary teachers, so primary and secondary colleagues on the Kapiti Coast, read into the information when it comes out from Fulbright this year. This is an incredible opportunity.


So, what will I be doing while I'm in Indiana? I will be auditing two courses at Indiana University for the Fall Semester. This means I will do all the readings but don't have to do the assignments or the exam. We are expected to participate in discussions, contribute an international perspective and learn from these courses anything that will help us with our own Capstone Project research. We will also be expected to present to a doctoral programme about education in our own countries.                 
                                                                                                                                                            (If you are from Indiana, you are a Hoosier.)    

     

I have met the teacher I will be linked to at Bloomington High School North. They have some interesting timetabling ideas that I will discover more about when I am there. Classes are 85 minutes long and there are only four classes a day. They also have a tutorial time built into the programme that allows students to self-select into extra tuition, or teachers to target students who are falling behind in an aspect of their learning. It's also a time for electives if students are up to date and expectations for their work have been met. I haven't started in the school yet -- we have just had an orientation afternoon -- but I will be there one day a week and will learn more.

I will also get a chance to see literacy development at work for struggling learners in the local primary school. I will also be able to see an accelerated charter school in Indianapolis that caters largely to the under-served African American population. We will also be going to Chicago for a trip, and will get to visit a school up there.

The programme is really full, but also really exciting. I love the buildings that the university has -- most of them are made of limestone and the buildings themselves seem to be dignified, wise and hold knowledge from down through the ages. Even the new buildings have the grand limestone look. I now am officially a "Visiting Scholar" of the university. All students get free bus transport around the city!!!!!!!! (And to think students in Wellington pay the full adult price for public transport!!!) I have a social security number, an ID card and a bus pass. I have made it into the system.

 The Sample Gates -- entrance to the university.

 I love the buildings.

My roommates, Remya from India and Sanaa from Morocco.












 



No earthquake drills, but they do have tornado drills.












 


                                                                                                My apartment complex. I live in a three bedroom apartment on the top floor.





"Visiting scholar". I quite like the sound of that.
 The "small" football stadium that holds 80,000 people. Basketball is the big sport here; if it were football, the stadium would be bigger.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Fiona! It's great to read your blog =) It's great hearing what you're up to. The High School you'll be attached to sounds really interesting. Can't wait to hear more about it! Cath xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cath, I go for my first full day at the school tomorrow. I just ironed my clothes because I thought a t-shirt and shorts wouldn't cut it.
      Can you tell Dave from me that his advice was great -- I look left, then right, then left and sometimes I still can't figure out which way the cars will be coming from. I do jay walk though, I missed that part of the advice, but only on quiet roads. :-)

      Delete