Thursday 14 August 2014

Culture Night

Tonight we had a cultural night and the internationals, and also the US Fulbright grantees, gave presentations about their countries. It was a great evening and we saw a game show from the US, a video clip on "how to eat crab" from the US, a dance and a poem from India, national dress and food from Morocco, the diversity of costumes from Singapore ... and the kiwis almost did a tourism promotion about New Zealand; so much so that people came up to us later and said, "Wow, I loved that, I really want to go to New Zealand."

Thanks to the Kapa Haka group and Deb Conningsby, I managed to be attired in a very New Zealand looking outfit. I presented a PowerPoint mainly focusing on Wellington, because that is where ten of the grantees are going. I also sang and did the actions for "Tutira mai nga iwi". I have to say that I have never sung solo, unaccompanied, to a crowd of fifty people before, but there you go. It's amazing what you can do when you have to.





1 comment:

  1. Fiona - it was so wonderful to meet you this week! I hope you have a safe journey to Indiana tomorrow. I look forward to reading about your adventures!
    ~ Jen fro New Mexico, USA

    ReplyDelete