Tuesday 12 August 2014

Washington DC

I arrived in DC at 1.18am on Saturday, having gone through two Fridays. I travelled with Su Mukund from Papatoetoe High School, the other recipient of the Fulbright Award. As we arrived before the Fulbright Programme kicked off, we had booked accommodation for ourselves, and being kiwis who like to travel on the cheap, it was not as posh as what Fulbright offered, but much better on the budget. We stayed in Arlington, Virginia, which is just six Metro stops from the Smithsonian stop in the centre of DC.

The great thing about DC is that there are so many free things to do.  Here's what you can do for free.
The Lincoln Memorial, famous of course for President Lincoln, but also for Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech.





 The Washington Monument, which you can go up in an elevator for free and get a great view of the surrounding city.


   
 There are also lots of Smithsonian Museums which you can visit for free. I've only been to the National Museum of Art, the Natural History Museum and the Museum of American Indians so far, but there are about a dozen others, so I shall try to fit in another one or two this week when we get some free time. The zoo is also free. I've run out of room on this post, but check out my photo gallery page to see some pictures from the museums and art galleries.





No comments:

Post a Comment